Sunday, January 24, 2016

Journaling Versus Labeling Your Scrapbook Pages



I've never been much of a journaler.  For lots of reasons I guess - I thought I had bad handwriting, I was not sure what to write, and felt embarrassed that people would think what I wrote was stupid. But I considered myself a good labeler - I would always label my layouts - special occasions, dates, places, you know...just the facts. Nothing creative or which I would later be judged by. 
But a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to try to journal at least a little more, maybe a sentence or two on some layouts. It didn't have to be lot, but just something that added a more personal touch. I started out printing little labels from my computer, because I thought my handwriting ruined the look of the page. But over time I've grown to like journaling a little more, and do it more often. I still consider myself a good labeler, but I'm becoming an okay journaler as well. I have even learned to write stuff by hand and not hate it! There are many resources online for how to learn handwriting styles, and with a little practice anyone can do it! 


My new favorite scrapbook embellishment is journaling cards. With so many colors, styles, and shapes to choose from, journaling has become very quick and easy, and can be added to your layout in just a few minutes. While working on my last vacation album, the journaling became one of my favorite parts of the scrapbook! 

It was hard to step outside of my matter-of-fact comfort zone and add in personal stories and emotions. But I soon realized that I could blend the two - still providing all of those labeling facts that I love so much, while adding in a personal element as well. If you are unsure of what to write about, start out with these ideas:

  • Start with the facts: where were you, when did you go, who was there
  • Add what you did: what did you see, how long were you there, what was the best thing you saw?
  • How did it make you feel? What did you love, what surprised you, what challenged you?


Whether you are a journaler or a labeler, any kind of handwriting on a scrapbook page adds a personal element that you don't get anywhere else. Are you a journaler or a labeler? What do you like or dislike about journaling?   

No comments:

Post a Comment