Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Creating Itineraries and Timelines in Your Layouts

I've been thinking a lot lately about itineraries and timelines and how they are used in scrapbooks. I've made a few different itinerary-type pages for travel books, but really haven't used them in any other types of books, and I'm thinking it might be time to elaborate on this idea.

A timeline doesn't have to take place over a long period of time, it could be the course of a week, a weekend, a school year, or a sports season. It could be just one day.  

An itinerary or timeline page can make a great cover page to an album, or be a fun corresponding page to another single page layout you may have. The itinerary pages below are a simple grid with the days and locations noted - I also like to add a logo or graphic of the location if I can.


Disney World Scrapbook Page Cover Timeline Itinerary

California Vacation Scrapbook Itinerary Page Timeline Cover Postcard

You can also do an itinerary in a more geographical way by showing where you went on a map and when. Here I highlighted the route we drove each day and stops we made along the way.


Yellowstone National Park Scrapbook Page Layout Map

This layout is the itinerary of just one day - these were the places we stopped along the scenic drive in Glacier National Park, which we drove in one full day.


Glacier National Park Scrapbook Page Layout Map Going to the Sun Road Sign

You may not want to dedicate a whole page to your timeline or itinerary, so you can easily use a journaling card or another type of tag to add a small timeline to your page. These mini-timelines can be a great way to detail your family traditions and annual events.




As I look through my own books I've realized that I haven't really done much with timelines and it's something I want to try to focus on more in my future pages. I have several old family albums that don't have cover pages, that I could go back and add a "year in review" kind of timeline - highlighting certain events from that year. I could also do this for my kids sports albums and highlight the different sports and activities they've participated in over the years.  

I did some image searches and found some really great ideas for timeline pages that I'm excited to add to my own books. What ideas have you used for timelines and itineraries?  What is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment