Monday, March 14, 2016

Scrapbook Album Storage: Ikea Kallax System

Ikea Kallax Scrapbook Storage shelf
About year ago I finally broke down and ordered an actual shelving unit to hold my scrapbook albums. Up until then, the albums has been scattered about on various shelves throughout the house that they didn't really fit on - 12x12 albums are so wide that most standard bookshelves are not deep enough to hold them - a couple of inches would always hang over the edge.

I started looking for album storage units and found out that most people use the Ikea Expedit units. But when I went to look for one, the Expedit was discontinued and had been replaced by the Kallax collection. So for my Christmas present last year I ordered one - the Kallax 4x4 cube shelf. While the price was reasonable, the shipping charge was outrageous! I could have driven to the nearest Ikea to pick it up, but a 4 hour drive, a tank of gas, $15 in toll roads, and full day spent to get it seemed like a lot of work that I didn't really want to do, and it would still cost us about half of the shipping cost. So we opted to just pay the shipping. 
Ikea Kallax scrapbook storage shelf 12x12

It ended up being one of the best purchases I've ever made for scrapbooking. I love this shelf! It is super sturdy and fits 12x12 albums perfectly! I just reorganized it after finishing up a couple of new albums, and realized that the shelf will probably be close to full in the next year.

Luckily, Ikea sells a complimentary piece of the Kallax collection that is a 2 x 4 rectangular cube that I can stack on top of this one. I've seen other people stack the units, so I think it can be done, and I have just enough space to have it fit. Adding that unit should give me several more years of storage space. I'm thinking I should get it now, before it gets discontinued like the Expedit shelves did.

Have you used the Expedit or Kallax systems? Have you stacked them? Can it or should it be done? Any problems with the weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment