Friday, November 3, 2017

The Total Solar Eclipse Scrapbook Pages

Back in August my son and I made a spur-of-the-moment road trip to view the total solar eclipse. The closest place to us that would experience totality was St. Louis, so that's where we went. Once in St. Louis, we watched the eclipse at Jefferson Barracks Park in south St. Louis where they were hosting a large viewing party.

I could not wait to scrapbook these photos, and I had so much fun creating these pages. On these pages I included a small poster from the day, a small poster from the event we were at, and our actual eclipse glasses.


I had chosen to use the Simple Stories 24/7 collection for this album, since we stopped at several other sites in the area and on the way, and I had several other pages to make. I wanted to use one paper collection for them all, but also knew that I'd need something special for the eclipse. 


I was able to find one amazing sheet of moon paper showing the different phases of the moon. These phases look just like the eclipse phases and it was perfect. (This paper is from We R Memory Keepers High Five collection and the paper is called Lunar.)


Once I had the black and white moon paper, I decided on the rest of the color scheme for these layouts - choosing yellow to highlight the sun photos, and a slate blue to accent, basically because I liked the look of it! Yellow and blue are always good together. I found a few patterned sheets in yellow and blue that were part of the 24/7 collection, and the patterns really worked for this.


For the actual eclipse photos, I had planned to do a collage but wasn't sure how many photos to include. I had taken photos that day using my DSLR and shooting through the solar eclipse glasses that I had. (Yes it work's but they come out a bit hazy, but it's better than nothing.) So I chose 10 of the best ones, attempting to show the different phases of the eclipse.



To accent the collage, I added pieces of the patterned papers that I used earlier, and added a couple of small and simple embellishments. I wanted to keep these pages very simple and let the photos stand out.

Here are the final 3 2-page layouts together:





Scrapping these photos was so different from what I'm used to working on and it felt great to do something a little different.

Thanks for looking! If you scrapbooked the eclipse - please share your pages with me, I'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment