Monday, March 21, 2016

Coordinating Supplies for a Future Trip

The last couple of months I've been planning our next trip, and in doing so have also been planning our next scrapbooks for...Washington DC! I spent a lot of time looking up Washington DC layouts and getting ideas for what others have done, to help me decide what I want to do. DC is an interesting mixture between old and new, historic and modern, subtle and flashy. It will be an interesting trip and a different kind of scrapbook for me - I've never scrapbooked anything really modern or "big city". Our other trips have been camping and national parks and staying in old lodges. DC will definitely challenge my scrapbook style. 

Picking supplies is an important part of any album and really sets the tone for what the album will look like. With that in mind, I want the album to have that historic-yet-modern and subtle-yet-flashy flair. I don't want it to be all red, white, and blue, or all flags, stars, and stripes. I think I can do it differently and still make it feel patriotic, while bringing in those modern and traditional elements.

I started the process by going through my own stuff and seeing what I had that I could use. I found 2 Teresa Collins kits that I really like the colors and patterns on, and have the vibe I was looking for:



I continued to look though paper and also found these which would work - the white and grey match both kits and the wood grain is a close enough match to the tan color in the Snapshots kit. Mixing of old and new here:



In my accent papers I found these, again great patterns (mix of modern and traditional) and the color pallet goes:



That was all I had in my own stuff, so a little shopping was in order. I found albums on clearance and ordered the Teresa Collins journaling card kits that coordinated with the paper kits, and some Teresa Collins labels:




Now came the tricky part. While these supplies have red and white elements, none of them have blue. I need to introduce some blue. We will be in DC over the 4th and I want to have some 4th of July papers and supplies, at least for stuff we do that day, including a baseball game (the Brewers play the Nationals in DC on the 4th...already got tickets! Go Brewers!) I had some baseball papers that matched up well and had the red-white-grey color scheme, and found the Simple Stories Stars and Stripes kit online and just loved it. It's a little rustic but again it's all about mixing old and new:



I still need to pick up a few DC specific embellishments, but that's where I'm what I have so far. This will be our DC book...or books...I'm limiting myself to 2 books only for this trip which will mean a lot of photos on fewer pages and will force me to get more creative with fitting photos on the page.

Do you think this color pallet and design will work well with DC photos even though there is not a lot of red, white, and blue or flags, stars, and stripes?




No comments:

Post a Comment