Thursday, March 10, 2016

Post-Bound Versus Ring-Bound Albums


When I first started scrapbooking ring-bound albums were not even being made yet, so I started with all post-bound albums. Like any good scrapbooker, as my albums grew larger and larger, I needed to add more posts and had to constantly take the albums apart to add additional layouts or move things around. And the albums were difficult to handle as the lengthened posts were not very sturdy against the weight of all of those pages. They'd bend and twist and I'd dare not handle the albums any more than necessary.

Then ring-bound albums came out and I, like so many others, was saved from the frustration of post-bound albums. Post-bound albums do have their place - if your album will be 20 pages or less then post-bound albums will work perfectly. And there are so many great cover designs for post-bound albums that we are just starting to get now in the ring-bound world.


I really do love ring-bound albums. I converted all of my family albums to ring-bound years ago, and only buy ring-bound for albums now. With one exception - my kids school and activities albums. Their school albums are broken down by school - so I'm managing to keep them small enough that I can still fit them all in a post-bound. My dilemma now is about their sports and activities albums - they are bursting at the seams and I need to either get more post-bound albums to expand into, or switch them over to ring-bound and be done with it. Either way I'm buying more books, so it really comes down to space and storage. And future storage.

I know there will be more and more pages added as the years go on - my kids do a fair amount of activities and I know for one of them at least, I'm averaging 30-40 pages a year to cover his different sports seasons (I try to keep it to 8-10 pages per season for each sport he's in.) It's basically the equivalent of an album each year. So what do I do....keep them or convert?

By switching I can get more layouts in each album, which will reduce the number of albums I need overall. If I do convert to ring-bound, I could also reorganize the albums by sport since right now it is a mixture of all activities done chronologically.  

So, should I stay post-bound or go ring-bound? Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment